The users of the Samsung Galaxy S2 have already received official update to Android Ice Cream Sandwich, but this update is only available in some countries like Samsung home country Korea and some countries of Europe. If you want to update your Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.3 ICS, there are two methods :
Method A: Official update Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.3 ICS
If you live in Korea or Europe, you can follow the steps below to update your Samsung Galaxy S2. Note: Android 4.0.3 (ICS) without losing your data, but I recommend you backup your data (Contacts, Photos, SMS logs, ...) before updating your phone.
- Download the latest version of Samsung Kies from Samsung Apps, and then install it. It requires Windows XP(service pack2), Windows Vista or Windows 7.
Screenshot: Install Samsung Kies for updating Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.3 ICS
- Connect your Samsung device to computer with the original USB Cable.
- Launch Samsung Kies Application, and then click Update.
Samsung Kies Update
Method B: Unofficial Update Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.3 ICS
- Download the latest version of Samsung Kies from Samsung Apps, and then install it. After installing, do not launch Samsung Kies.
- Enable USB Debugging: Click menu Settings > Applications > Development, check the option "USB Debugging".
Screenshot: Root Samsung Galaxy S2 GT i9100, Enable USB Debugging
- Download the official Android 4.0.3 (Ice-cream sandwich) (File size: 352 MB) and unpack it to your local folder, then launch Odin3 v1.83.exe from extracted files. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click Odin3 v1.83.exe, and then click "Run as administrator".
- Connect your Samsung smartphone to computer with the original USB Cable. Turn off your device, and then enter into Download mode by pressing Volume-down key, Center button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button, and then press Volume-up key, it will show a green robot.
- You will see that the "ID: COM" section will turn Yellow. If the ID: COM section doesn’t turn Yellow, you should check the Samsung Kies driver and go to the path “Settings > Wireless & Network > USB Settings” and ensure that “Samsung KIES” option is ticked before connecting the smartphone to the computer.
- Check the options for "Auto reboot" and "F. Reset Time", and then click "PDA" button, choose the file GT-I9100_INU_I9100XXLPQ_I9100ODDLP7_I9100DDLP8.tar.md5. Click the Start button to start the process of firmware update.
[Click for large preview] Screenshot: Launch Odin3 v1.83, start the process of firmware update of Samsung Galaxy S2.
- My device is Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100, my log messages:
[OSM] Enter CS for MD5..
[OSM] Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
[OSM] Please wait..
[OSM] GT-I9100_INU_I9100XXLPQ_I9100ODDLP7_I9100DDLP8.tar.md5 is valid.
[OSM] Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
[OSM] Leave CS..
[ID:0/008] Odin v.3 engine (ID:8)..
[ID:0/008] File analysis..
[ID:0/008] Get PIT for mapping..
[ID:0/008] Firmware update start..
[ID:0/008] RQT_CLOSE !!
[ID:0/008] RES OK !!
[OSM] All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
Your device will auto restart after updating.
- Enjoy your device with Andorid 4.0.3 ICS now!
Screenshot: Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 with Android 4.0.3 ICS
Other resources about Samsung Galaxy S2
How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.3 ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich)